Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last Year's Resolutions

It's the end of the year, and a great time to look back at the resolutions I've made and see how I did. These are the resolutions I made last year.

1. Make a sweater! Really, I just need to throw myself in headfirst and make a darn sweater. And finish it! [Yes, Done! I not only finished my Something Green, I've worn it. In public! And someone said it looked like an Anthropology sweater! Woohoo!]

Something Green

2. Learn colorwork - specifically Fair Isle. [Hmm, kinda. I've yet to finish a whole project and I'm still not happy with my tension, but I can do it. Must finish those mitts...]

IMG_2441

3. Play with dyeing yarn - you don't have to be good, you should just have fun. [Ok, I never even tried this. And now I see how many beautiful yarns there are to buy, I no longer care.]

4. Learn to spin...better. Maybe borrow a wheel to play with. My last attempt failed miserably - my yarn broke over and over and I lost it about halfway through trying to ply but I don't want to give up because roving makes me yearn. [Done! With PurlEwe's enabling I not only got better at spinning (not such a challenge given how awful I was at the start) and even got my own spinning wheel. My latest yarn is awesome!]

Spinning 064

5. Buy necessary accessories - specifically a swift and ball winder and some KnitPicks Options. [Whew, I just got in under the wire with this one. My order for swift and ballwinder went in on Monday! I can't wait to get them.]

6. Organize stash and accessories. It's no fun to be always looking for a darning needle. [My stash is now (mostly) all in ziplock bags in my old entertainment center and organized by weight. The accessories are another story altogether. They may be centralized, but they're not tamed.]


7. Keep the couch absolutely clear, and try to limit the number of projects that are in the living room to a reasonable number. [Hahahahahahah. Bwahahahahaha. Uh. No. Not happening.]

8. Buy good yarn and don't feel guilty about it! Although looking for bargain prices is encouraged. [I've had some struggles with this one. But my purchases in this last month have more than made up for any reticence from earlier in the year. My stash is growing.]

So, over all I think I did pretty well. And having the resolution to complete a sweater really did push me to the finish line. And I'm really happy it did.

And looking back at my projects from the last year I'm really happy with them. I've made two lace shawls and they're both lovely. Mom adores her Swallowtail.

IMG_2402

And my roomie loves her Christmas present: a Wavy Feathers Cowl.

IMG_2508

No comments: