Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Note to Self - READ INSTRUCTIONS

You would think, after going through two days of dropping down and reknitting (KnitPicks Options tips came in really handy for this) a section of Icarus that I'd be really careful not to mess up in future. I haven't been using a lifeline because I'm not sure what to use for one - so you'd think that I'd be even more careful.

But somehow I managed to get through the main body pattern for a sixth time (I added an extra section because I'll have more than enough yarn and I knit small and I like big shawls) without realizing that the instructions CLEARLY state that I should stop at row 34 on the last repeat. But in my infinite wisdom I just plowed through to the end of the repeat. And started the next patterning line. And it didn't work out. Hmmm, I wonder why. So I did some calculations and recounted my stitches and couldn't figure out how in the world the designer could expect to make this work. And then I went and looked at the directions. And then I swore at my own stupidity. And then I took the shawl off the needle (Zephyr is sticky enough for this not to be a nightmare) and ripped back 6 or 7 rows. And picked up all the stitches. And made a huge, huge mess with my yarn.

I admit it. I was mad. I wasn't thinking. I tore back willy nilly and did not realize that the same characteristics that made it possible for me to rip back with impunity (the aforementioned stickiness) might cause problems when I ripped back without doing anything for the loose yarn. So the yarn solved the problem for me. And became a gigantic knot. And brilliantly (I am nothing if not brilliant) I worked on unknotting my knot. I worked from both ends and wound the end closest to the yarn cake around the cake and starting balling up the yarn nearest the shawl. And once I fixed that knot, what happened? Oh yeah, that "ball" I'd started to keep things orderly became an even bigger knot than the first was. I spent almost three hours working on undoing my knotty yarn last night, and another hour today before I restored order. Now I just have to hope that I really did pick up all the stitches...

No comments: