Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I just uttered the phrase "It's not like I need more yarn." I do believe I'm about to be struck my lightning. The thing is...I'm not a fully fledged, Knitting with a capital K type knitter. I like to knit, I've been knitting for years, but I don't always have a project with me, or even on the needles. I realize, since joining Ravelry and reading through the entire back archives of several KnitBlogs, I'm being a bit of a poser. I want to get more into knitting. It's wierd. The thing is, I'm honestly too cheap to stash. The prospect of all sheep going bald is not frightening to me, as my favorite fibers are cotton and silk. I am very, very cheap. And I don't knit very fast. So I buy yarn as I decide on projects to make. And knowing that I'm currently working on four (with another one to rip out and restart) and I've got another two projects worth of yarn coming to me, I can't imagine the need to buy more yarn. And if I go to a yarn store, I probably will. Because I feel guilty for going and not buying. But then I regret it, because I didn't need it, and I likely did not have a pattern for it and it will therefore not be used. So I think I'm going to skip the yarn sale at Yarn Connection. Unless they're having a 50% off sale, in which case I'm buying some Handmaiden SeaSilk, because I'm becoming obsessed with that stuff.

In other news, I'm two-and-a-half inches into my socks. I worked on them last night, and during my morning knitting time, and while talking to friends after work and during the Wii tournament we had at work. I'm loving the yarn (both the colors and the fact that it's not bothering my hands) but the double points are rather tricky. I've avoided laddering by working the first two stiches on the current needle with the previous needle before moving on to the working needle. That way the stiches at the edge keep changing. Between my awkwardness with the double pointeds and my insane inability to hold onto the free needle, I really think I need to learn magic loop. Maybe on the next pair.

No comments: